Sunday, November 4, 2007

Week 7: Wikis

Enjoy watching Leelefever's Youtube video of 'Wikis in Plain English'. His style of explaining things is unique. Watched a few video clips he made on different topics.

By exploring the St. Joseph County Public Library's Subject Guides, I was inspired to invite my Chinese network partners to create a wiki to link our different organisation resources together. Each party uploads their upcoming events to the wiki, so the whole network people can check the community event calendar and see what's coming up, instead of sending and forwarding a lot of emails to each other. Wiki is definitely more efficient.

The Wikipedia, first time I use it was two or three years ago. Amazed by its multilingual conversion feature. It helps me heaps of understanding the content of the information in English and in my first language. I can do the comparison.

Also, I found the Wikipedia is an easy to use, broad encyclopedia. Once I was doing research on 'blackwork', first consult the Britannica, nothing came up; then did a simple search on the Wikipedia, found really good information and links about the topic. Better than the general google search.

No comments: